Astral Shift (ALS) occurs when the astral body separates from the physical body, travels to the astral plane (spirit world) and shifts to the form of a nonhuman animal.   There is no physical change of the shifter.
- See also: Shift (Therianthropic)
This is considered an out-of-body experience (OBE). This is a spiritual related shift that requires the belief in the existence of souls or a form of consciousness called an astral body. This is related to astral projection, and the idea of astral travel is ancient and occurs in multiple cultures.
Some consider the astral plane to be a higher plane of consciousness, and it can take practice to learn how to achieve this shift unless one is naturally inclined. Astral Shifting can occur during sleep, with the aid of spiritual trance, meditation, or induced through hypnotic means such as self-hypnosis.
Astral Shifting was being discussed on AHWW in 1994/1995 or sooner.  However, it's a less common shift that is not mentioned as often as shifts like mental and phantom.
Not all astral shifts will be related to Therianthropy. Some people may practice this ability for other purposes such as Shamanic work and spiritual healing.
It is important to note that there is no proof of auras, astral travel, or out of body experiences. We do need to be aware that there are alternative explanations to astral, aura, spiritual, and bilocation shifting. They may not necessarily be spiritual in nature, but could be explained by ordinary events. Astral shifts could be the result of our brains trying to process the surroundings and the effects of sensory fatigue, a well documented effect which is at work in those able to perceive common optical illusions. Seeing auras or outlines around people and objects can simply be due to eye fatigue and other perceptual processes.  
- ↑ "Shifting and Awareness Terms" were.net archive circa 2001, https://web.archive.org/web/20010118174900/http://www.were.net:80/~pinky/wereterms.html
- ↑ Shifters.org (2001 web archive) - http://web.archive.org/web/20010709235122/http://www.shifters.org/shifting/types.shtml
- ↑ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astral_projection
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20071218234907/http://www.therianthropes.com:80/astral_shifting.htm
- ↑ "Returning, with werecard" Alt.Horror.Werewolves - https://groups.google.com/d/msg/alt.horror.werewolves/S5F48mtcmVE/KdsA_CFi-DsJ
- ↑ Benjamin Radford, "Astral Projection: Just a Mind Trip" March 18, 2013 http://www.livescience.com/27978-astral-projection.html
- ↑ The Skeptics Dictionary - http://skepdic.com/auras.html